Monday, April 15, 2013

New Overdrive & Overdrive Read

My library got the newest version of Overdrive today.  I played with it a bit, and I found it really easy to use. It's a lot easier to differentiate between books that are checked in and out.  A book that's out has a grayed out icon (either a book shape for e-book, or headphones for audio), while a book with available copies has a black icon in the upper righthand corner of  a cover.

When you go to check out a book, you just click 'borrow'.  That's it.  To decide whether it's a 14 day or 7 day checkout is through your settings, which is one thing I don't like, since some books I'd rather have for a week, while others I want for the 2 weeks.

Overdrive Read.  It's a very, very good thing.  It's basically being able to read them right in your browser.  Now, IE (internet explorer) isn't compatible with it.  I know.  Well, mostly incompatible.  You can use ODR, but it's a dumbed down version without all the bells and whistles of the normal one.  If you download a Firefox addon, you can use the 'regular' version of ODR, but if you don't want to download anything, you're stuck with a very plainclothes version.

Even the plain version was nice, though.  The Mozilla version?  Amazing.  Easy to read, easy to use.  Bookmarks, offline reading, it had it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment