Monday, January 14, 2013

Overdrive errors: The parameter is incorrect aka error 0x80070057

As a reference librarian, I get to deal with e-books and Overdrive a lot, if you can't tell from previous posts.

Today, I got to walk a patron through deleting her DRM folder.  First, she told me her error was "Parameters are incorrect".  From there, we found that she had Windows XP, and that it's a fairly common error.

To fix it, I googled it.  "Parameters are incorrect overdrive".  One of the first links I pulled up was this: Fixing: error 0×80070057: The parameter is incorrect for OverDrive media console .

From there, they'd posted what Overdrive tech support has posted to several people.  Below is a quote of the fix for "The parameter is incorrect".

Overdrive:

We are sorry that your patron is having difficulty downloading OverDrive Audio Books. We think the error they are receiving can be resolved by resetting the DRM (Digital Rights Management) for Windows Media Player. Please ask the patron to perform the following steps to reset the DRM and let us know what results they get:

 1. First, please delte the DRM folder on your computer. Depending on your OS, it can be found in different locations:

* Windows 2000 and XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM
* Windows 98: C:\Windows\All Users\DRM
* Windows Millennium Edition: C:\Windows\DRM

 

 If you cannot find the folder, it may be ‘hidden’. Please use the following steps to view hidden files and folders.

* In Windows Explorer go to Tools > Folder Options > View
* Under ‘Hidden files and folders’ heading, make the following changes:
o Select ‘Show Hidden Files and Folders’
o Un-check ‘Hide Protected Operating System Files’
* Click the button ‘Apply to All Folders’. This will ensure the changes affect all folders on the system.

 

 2. Re-run the Windows Media Player Security Upgrade from the OverDrive Media Console under the ‘Tools’ menu.

 

3. Attempt to download an OverDrive Audio Book.

 

We apologize for the difficulty. Please let us know if this resolves the error or if the patron requires further assistance. Thank you.

 

 Sincerely,
The Library Reserve Support Team


So if anyone runs into this problem, I hope this helps.  It worked for my patron who hadn't been able to download several different e-books.

3 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how much this helped me. I work 3rd shift, 10hrs, and listen to audio books all night. After a recent power surge, I kept getting the "Parameter is Incorrect" message. I am not good on computers, but follow directions easily. I tried several fixit links from other libraries with no success. Out of desperation, I went 4 pages into google search, (something I never do) and found your site. It worked!! I am now happily downloading another book and not dreading a long boring night at work. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this helped you! I hate going without my audiobooks, so I understand needing a fix!

      Delete
  2. Help, getting this error, tonight although I just downloaded a book moments before it with no problems, I am running Windows 10. What are the steps for the new OS's? Same as old?

    ReplyDelete